THE RULES OF MARKETING
To successfully sell your writing, you need to:
1. Keep it topical.
Read letters to the editor and act on what they say.
Act on what editors say they are doing in their editorials.
Keep files of ideas and clippings of different categories.
2. The more you offer readers, the more you're worth.
Give readers steps to positive action or ways to apply information.
Include end-of-article guides listing addresses, references, tips, and other items.
Include extra informational boxes and sidebars to help give your article greater value.
3. Keep your name before an editor.
Send periodic updates.
And don't forget Christmas cards--regular mail is best.
4. Pick up the phone now and then and ask about assignments.
5. See your editors in person once in a while.
6. Meet deadlines.
7. Be consistent and reliable.
The contents of this site © 2001-2009 Bob Brooke Communications